March 16, 2020
Remote Learning Introduction K-12
Rationale & Goals:
- MVC continues to seek ways to assist families in the nurturing of their children in all situations.
- As an institution which views each child as an image-bearer of God we seek to implement a whole child approach to education which equips students with knowledge and skills so they can serve God and their neighbors.
- Our goal is to provide opportunities for our students to continue to learn and develop in the midst of a lengthy school closure.
- While the goal for some students is graduation in June, others credits toward graduation, and others preparation for the next grade; we will give all students the opportunity to progress and attain those goals.
- MVC is committed to pray through, over and around this process.
- MVC is committed to trust God in all things and to lean fully into his care and provision.
- MVC is committed to provide a Christ-centered education in all subject areas.
- MVC is committed to communicate clearly and effectively to all students and families.
- MVC is committed to provide educational opportunities for all k-12 students in order to allow them to progress appropriately for the remainder of the school year.
- MVC is committed to provide a quality remote learning program during this period of mandated school closure in order to effectively meet our annual hours needed for State Approval and Accreditation.
- MVC is committed to learn, grow and adapt as we implement something new and different.
- MVC is committed to demonstrate love for our neighbors by adhering to the recommendations of those placed in positions of authority and expertise.
How you can help:
- Pray with us.
- Talk as a family about how to best learn and get your home setup for Remote Learning.
- Read, think about and respond as needed to the communications we are sending.
- Provide meaningful and helpful feedback to the teachers and administrators.
- Be open to changes in the process if needed.
- Communicate absences both planned and unplanned.
- Assist your children in learning and engaging in the process.
- Be open to the opportunities to proctor a test, read a story or help with a lesson.
- We will be working remotely so please contact the school personnel via email rather than phone.
- All usual attendance policies and practices are in place. Please contact the appropriate office as indicated below if your child is ill or if you have a planned absence. You may also contact the classroom or subject area teacher.
General Information K-5
K-5 will use a remote learning model (method of providing learning materials in a different location, separate from the teacher and classroom). This means for the K-5 students and parents that we (the school) will provide you (the student and parents) with lessons and materials for the students to complete as part of our continual goal of furthering the education of our students, while limiting the achievement gap this pandemic is creating. Our current solution is to send home packets for K-5 students with materials for the week. We will begin this on Monday, March 23 with morning pick up.
Packet Pickup Protocol
Packets will be available Monday mornings for the remainder of our time off. Packets will not be available for pickup or dropoff April 6th due to Spring Break. Teachers will provide a cover letter in the packet with further instructions.
March 23rd, 2020 – Packet Pickup will begin.
- Packet Pickup will be available from 8:00am-9:30am.
- Parents will be asked to pull into the main parking lot and remain in the right lane (nearest the curb) in order to have packets brought to your car.
- Parents are able to pick up packets for their community.
- We are asking parents and students to stay in their cars. The school, its facilities, and playground will not be open during this time. Please respect this request on behalf of the faculty and staff.
- We will adjust this process to best serve our families as we need to.
Future Monday – Packet Pickup and Dropoff
- Parents are asked to bring completed packets back to school in exchange for the current weeks packet. Completed packets will sit for a period of time prior to opening and grading.
- Parents will receive a new packet with the week’s materials inside and a cover sheet for tracking the work and progress of your student.
- Everything in the packet is expected to return with the packet unless clearly marked.
Grading & Report Cards
- In response to this crisis, we will not produce report cards for the 3rd quarter at this time for students in Kindergarten through 3rd grade.
- 4th and 5th grade students will still receive a 3rd quarter grade via RenWeb. Work done after the 27th of March will be inputted into the 4th quarter in RenWeb.
- We will be utilizing RAZ-Reading, through Learning A-Z, which has been ordered for every classroom K-5. Teachers will provide you with a login and password.
- Attendance will be based on your child’s login and activity.
- All K-5 students are asked to login by 11:00am. If unable to do so by that time, please email the teacher to let them know when your child will be able to do so
General Information 6th-12th Grade
Remote and Online Learning Protocols:
- Choose to make the best of what is a challenging situation.
- Create an environment that is conducive to learning. Eliminate distractions and behaviors that would detract from your learning experience.
- Maintain healthy sleep and eating patterns.
- Follow a routine.
- Be punctual.
- Take responsibility for your learning and for making this process work.
- If something is challenging, persevere. Seek appropriate help as needed.
- MVC guidelines for appropriate use of social media and technology still apply. So do guidelines for integrity in your work.
- If involved in a video activity with your teacher and classmates make sure to…
- Have your face adequately illuminated.
- Allow opportunity for all members of the group to be involved.
- Eliminate other noise sources in your area.
- Mute your microphone unless speaking.
- Check your email and Google Classrooms periodically throughout the day.
Teacher Availability: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on school days via email (Response time will depend on teaching schedule)
***All assignments will be posted before 4 pm***
Students must log on to their Chromebook (or through a Chrome Web Browser if using a personal device) with their MVC username and password during each of the times listed below when they have class (not for Study Hall). Direct instruction, class discussion and other synchronous learning will take place during the beginning of each of these periods. Teachers will send specific instructions and expectations for their classes prior to the first scheduled meeting.
6th grade – 12th grade Student Schedules:
1st Period: 9:00 am – 9:55 am 2nd Period: 9:00 am – 9:55 am
3rd Period: 10:00 am – 10:55 am 4th Period: 10:00 am – 10:55 am
5th Period*: 11:00 am – 11:55 am 6th Period*: 11:00 am – 11:55 am
Lunch Break Lunch Break
7th Period: 1:00 pm to 1:55pm 8th Period: 1:00 pm to 1:55pm
SOME CLASSES WILL NOT MEET (TEACHERS WILL LET YOU KNOW)
*There is one exception to this: 8th Grade Algebra 1 will meet during the 8th period time slot on Tuesdays/Fridays*
Staff meeting time: 9:00 am to 10:00 am
Teachers Available for Remote Meetings: 10am to 4 pm (via email, phone, GoGuardian Chat, etc)